Saturday, August 20, 2011

Results of an unplanned pregnancy.

   Where we previously lived our landlord hated cats and would not allow us to have one.  I am a major cat LOVER always have been since I was a teeny tiny little girl.  14 and 1/2 years ago my husband and I bought our first home.  We had lived here approximately 5 days and once we were unpacked and mostly settled in off we went with our 3 children who at that time were 09, 7, and 5 to the Humance Society to adopt a kitty.  We found a beautiful male kitty who is white and a light caramel color, on his side he has a pattern with white spots that I swear looks just like the print on the side of "Bambi".  We named him Sam he was approximately 6 to 8 weeks old.  He has lived here happily with us for the last 14 1/2 years.  Once he was neutered I allowed him to come in and out as he pleased.  Since then I have had a couple of other male cats but as of last year right before Christmas I only had Sam and mentioned I wanted a kitten. 

  Be careful what you wish for................Approximately one week after Christmas 2009 my oldest son walked thru the front door one evening and handed me a receipt from Wal-Mart.  I looked at the receipt and I see cat litter, cat toys, litter box, etc.  Finally after a second the light bulb in my head comes on and I look at my son to see a BIG FAT SMILE, I say "you got me a kitty"!!  He starts laughing and says go out to the car, and I rush out to the car to find the sweetest little gray tabby kitten.  I scooped her up and brought her in and we were hooked on each other immediately.  She is the sweetest cat I have ever owned.  Sam will ALWAYS be first in my heart but Ms. Abby is right there beside him.   

   So Ms. Abby lived in harmony with us for approximately 18 months.  She lived in the house was a big time eater, sleeper and lover.  She did go in heat a couple times but it wasnt really bad and I had such good intentions of getting her spayed.........shame on me.     I don't allow my cats to have free roam of my home when I am not here so Ms. Abby had her own cat haven in the spare bedroom with a giant cat stand a wonderful scratching post etc.  One morning my husband and I were leaving and called and called Ms. Abby so we could put her in the room when we left and she was NOWHERE to be found.  We went outside and called and called..........no Abby. 

    We assumed she had got out when the dog opened the door and prayed she did'nt go to far and came home soon.   The next morning before we left for work we called for her and here she came across the neighbors yard just as happy as she could be.............HMMMM.  Now I know why she was so happy...little hussy.    Well she had no desire to come back inside and would not dare let us try to put her back in the house.  We could see within just a few weeks that she was obviously pregnant, but she still would not come inside and stay.  So she went thru her pregnancy eating 2 cans of food a day in addition to alot of cat treats, turkey cold cuts etc.  You talk about 1 fat little heffer......that kitty was wobblin by the end of her pregnancy.  About 10 days ago she did'nt come when it was time to eat in the morning or again that evening....I called and called and looked and looked for her.  The next morning I had a dentist appt and I came back home to change clothes for work and decided I would go in the back yard and see if I could find her...........I called and called and finally here she came, well it was obvious to look at her that she had her kittens.  Here is the results: 

They were born on August 8th, she had them in the backyard in some high grass under my bedroom window.  It took me about an hour to find them, once I did I scooped them up and placed them in a giant basket as you see them in now and brought them into the house and they have been living there happily for the last  days.  She had  and lost one the day after they were born.  It did'nt appear to have anything wrong with it the first day but the 2nd day I noticed it did'nt stay huddled with the rest and it just appeared to be weaker.  By the time we came home that evening it had passed.  here is what they look like today at 12 days old.  They started opening their eyes yesterday.   








  I am definately a sucker for a furry face.  I will most definately be having Ms. Abby spayed ASAP.

 Hugs Hazel

4 comments:

  1. Awwww, my little grandkitties. They are so cute. Abby is a sweet cat and I'm glad she's a good mother. Hope you don't have a problem finding homes for them. I know JF wants one and S will probably take one. Just hope it doesn't eat his bird. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OR, YOU COULD BE LIKE US. A stray cat came up; had kittens and we can't catch any of them. So now we have her and she has had a second litter....I think 9 cats at last count....all of our cats were spayed or neutered...something must be done!

    They are adorable...you could just keep them all like us only and spay and neuter......for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love it! Kittens in the house are soooo fun. Wait till they get a little bigger, you will be rolling in the floor laughing at the way they play.

    ReplyDelete